Beall-Air and Joseph Lycett

Beall-Air, also known as the Colonel Lewis William Washington House, is a two-story stuccoed brick house in classical revival style near Halltown, West Virginia. It was the home of Colonel Lewis William Washington, great-great nephew of George Washington and hostage in John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.

The original house, now the rear portion of the house, is believed to have been built by Thomas Beall prior to 1800. Beall's daughter Elizabeth married George Corbin Washington in 1807. George Corbin was the grandson of Augustine Washington, half-brother of George Washington. George and Elizabeth's son, Colonel William Lewis Jr., was born in 1812. The present front of the house was added in 1820.

Colonel William Lewis Washington Jr. married in 1897 Barbara Gibb, a Canadian nurse, who was the daughter of James Gibb . Col Washington served in the Confederate service during the American Civil War. He claimed to be a grandnephew of General George Washington, the first President of the United States of America. He died in January 1902, and was buried at Nashville. Description

The main (1820) portion of the house is a two-story stucco-faced brick structure on a stone foundation. The corners of the three-bay house are thickened by pilasters, with a similar freize-like thickening extending horizontally above the second floor windows. The front, or south elevation has a small portico with a flat roof and four Ionic columns. The front door has sidelights and an overlight, echoed by the second floor window immediately above the portico. The eat and west ends have stepped gables with central chimneys and the "shadow" of a porch. A small 2½ story structure to the north of the main house connects to the main house with a two-story link. This structure has a gabled roof with dormers and is also stuccoed. Its windows are late 18th century in detail. The Harpers Ferry Raid

Lewis William inherited several relics of George Washington, including a sword allegedly given by Frederick the Great to Washington and a pair of pistols given by Lafayette. John Cook, who served as John Brown's advance party at Harpers Ferry, befriended Washington and noted the relics, as well as the slave population at Beall-Air. Brown was fascinated with the Washington relics. During Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry a detachment from his force led by Cook seized the sword and pistols along with Washington at Beall-Air, taking along three of Washington's slaves. The hostages were taken to Harpers Ferry by way of the Allstadt House and Ordinary, where more hostages were taken. All survived their captivity, and Washington identified Brown to the Marine rescue party. During the assault on John Brown's Fort, a saber thrust by Marine Lieutenant Green at Brown was allegedly deflected by the belt buckle securing the Washington sword.

Joseph Lycett and Beall-Air

Joseph Lycett (c.1774 – c.1825) was a portrait and miniature painter, active in Australia. Lycett specialised in topographical views of the major towns of Australia, and some of its more dramatic landscapes.

Contents 1 Early life 2 Convict years 2.1 Newcastle 2.1.1 Collectors' Chests 2.2 Sydney 2.3 Views in Australia 3 Death 4 References 5 External links

Early life

Lycett was born in Staffordshire, England, where he become a botanical artist. Convict years Newcastle

Lycett was convicted of forgery on 10 August 1811 and was transported to Australia, sailing aboard the General Hewitt, arriving in 1814. In May 1815 while Lycett was employed in the police office, Sydney was flooded by hundreds of skillfully forged 5 shilling bills drawn on the postmaster. They were traced to Lycett, who was found in possession of a small copper-plate press. Lycett was sent to Newcastle, where he came to the attention of the commandant of the settlement, Captain James Wallis. Lycett drew up the plans for a church which Wallis projected and, when it was built in 1818, he painted the altar piece; he is said to have also produced the three-light window which still survives in the bishop's vestry of Newcastle Cathedral. On the recommendation of Captain Wallis, the commandant, Lycett was given a conditional pardon. Collectors' Chests Collector's chest featuring Lycett's paintings. The chest is believed to have been presented to Lachlan Macquarie by Captain James Wallis, ca. 1818

Captain James Wallis also involved Lycett in the design of two cedar and rosewood timber chests displaying natural history specimens from the Newcastle area. Lycett was responsible for painting eight of the twelve panels on these chests which depict views of Newcastle as well as copies of William Westall's Views of Australian Scenery. It is strongly believed that Wallis presented one of these chests to Governor Lachlan Macquarie as a gift around the year of 1818. The other chest's initial provenance is unknown, but it was purchased by William Dixson in London in 1937 and later bequeathed to the State Library of New South Wales where Macquarie's chest is also held. Sydney

Lycett returned to Sydney and was allowed to practice his art, and in 1820 Governor Macquarie sent three of his paintings including a large view of Sydney to Earl Bathurst. It is generally believed that the absolute pardon which the Lycett received on 28 November 1821 was a reward for these. Many of his patrons seem to have been drawn from the military and public service elite, and included Commissioner John Thomas Bigge (who described Lycett's 'habits of intoxication' were 'fixed and incurable'), his secretary Thomas Hobbes Scott, and Macquarie's aide-de-camp John Watts.

Lycett had possibly married in the colony, for in June 1822 he advertised that he intended to leave accompanied by his two daughters. They sailed together in the Shipley in September. Views in Australia The property of the late Mr James Squires, Kissing Point, New South Wales. Creator Lycett, Joseph, ca. 1775-1828.

Although his later publication Views in Australia suggests Lycett also visited Tasmania, there is no evidence of his actually travelling there. He returned to England in September 1822, having been granted an absolute pardon. With publisher John Souter, between July 1824 and June 1825 he issued Views in Australia, or New South Wales and Van Diemens Land in 12 parts published monthly, each with two aquatint views of New South Wales and two of Van Diemen's Land, with descriptive letterpress, and a supplement with maps of both colonies. By permission the series was dedicated to Bathurst. The parts began to appear in July 1824 at 7s. plain and 10s. 6d. coloured. With its complicated publishing history, the extent of Lycett's involvement in the entire production is unclear, and it does seem that the book was not successful. These views were reissued in a volume in 1825. The 50 plates are coloured in some copies and plain in others. Death

Lycett died in Birmingham in or about 1825. A penciled note in a copy of his Views in the State Library of New South Wales, states that, when he was living near Bath, he was again arrested for forgery of some notes on the Stourbridge Bank. On being arrested he cut his throat, and when recovering in hospital he tore open the wound and killed himself. However, this is not confirmed.
98/1022 95 96 97 99 100 101 keramik